Monday, August 17, 2009

{Low-Carb Recipe} TEXAS CHILI

Kelsey, I'm going to post any recipes I find on my blog so you can find them easily!
This is from Linda's Low-Carb Menus and Recipes--I slightly adjusted it to "our" liking.
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/texas_chili.html

TEXAS CHILI
2 pounds ground beef, lean
2 ounces onion, chopped, 1 small or 1/2 cup {although I'd add a cup}
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
3 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon paprika {I like the Hungarian--I got some Spanish last week}
2 teaspoons salt
8 ounce can no-sugar added tomato sauce {I'd just use chopped tomatoes}
2 cups water
Brown the meat, onion and garlic in a large pot; drain grease well. Add all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low; cover and simmer 1- 1 1/2 hours.

Makes about 6 servings - Can be frozen

Per Serving: 283 Calories; 18g Fat; 25g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This won't be thick like traditional chili with beans and a thick tomato base. It's more like a thin chili soup. Be sure to drain the fat really well or you'll end up with a layer of grease floating on top, like I did. I had to skim as much as I could. It might be good with some other veggies added, such as chopped tomatoes, zucchini, green peppers, etc. It will go farther, but will increase the carbs.
{Zucchini sounds really good! I'd add 2 T ground flax to help thicken it a bit too}

No comments: